Book of James begins Fall Adult Studies at First Church on September 5
Join fellow adult learners as we read the book of James and understand it within its historical context. This study will explore the themes of faith and work; prayer and healing; testing and endurance; and the reversal of social status.
Bring your Bible, a mask and a friend on Sunday mornings at 9:15 am in the Aldersgate Room.
Join Pastor Joe for this four week study.
we will address
helping our neighbors who are suffering
— by using our faith understandings
from our rich theological tradition.
- If you have every journeyed with a loved one or friend through terminal illness, divorce or other suffering, this series is for you.
- If you want to spiritually prepare yourself for such a journey, this series is for you.
This series is inspired by Frederick Schmidt’s book, The Dave Test: A Raw Look at Real Faith in Hard Times. He holds the Rueben P. Job Chair in Spiritual Formation at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois.
Dates, Topics, & Scriptures
- February 21 Letting Go of False Gods (Genesis 9:8-17; Mark 1:9-15)
- February 28 Understanding the Incarnation of God (Genesis 17:1-7; Mark 8:31-38)
- March 7 Acknowledging Our Mortality (1 Corinthians 1:18-25; John 2:13-22)
- March 14 Finding God in Desolation (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-21)
- March 21 Affirming Biblical Values (Jeremiah 31:31-34; John 12:20-33)
Post Sermon Discussions
Pastor Johnson invites you to join post-sermon discussions on ZOOM over these 5 weeks. To determine a preferred meeting day & time, please complete the following on: survey