First Church is pleased to welcome Rev. Stricker to the pulpit on March 14 for the Lenten sermon series Real Faith in Hard Times
Deacon Stricker graduated from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in 2009 and has been in full-time ministry since 2010, serving in Christian Education and administration in Evanston and Chicago in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and the United Methodist Church. In 2015, she was ordained a Deacon in full connection in the Northern Illinois Conference to ministries of word, service, compassion and justice. She is involved in Native American ministries in the Northern Illinois conference, serves on the conference Board of Ordained Ministry, and is the co-chair of the Northern Illinois Order of Deacons. As part of her ministry, Adrienne preaches throughout the conference, contributes to writing projects and curriculum throughout the United Methodist connection, and teaches about Native American theology. She lives in Addison with her husband, Jonathan.
February 17 at 7:00 pm
Live-Worship returns to First Church with our Ash Wednesday Service which will now be held in the Sanctuary. Attendance is still limited during this tier of our pandemic protocol. If you wish to attend, please register at Worship Signup .
The service will also be live-streamed. Ashes have been available for pick-up to add to your worship at home.
we will address
helping our neighbors who are suffering
— by using our faith understandings
from our rich theological tradition.
- If you have every journeyed with a loved one or friend through terminal illness, divorce or other suffering, this series is for you.
- If you want to spiritually prepare yourself for such a journey, this series is for you.
This series is inspired by Frederick Schmidt’s book, The Dave Test: A Raw Look at Real Faith in Hard Times. He holds the Rueben P. Job Chair in Spiritual Formation at Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary in Evanston, Illinois.
Dates, Topics, & Scriptures
- February 21 Letting Go of False Gods (Genesis 9:8-17; Mark 1:9-15)
- February 28 Understanding the Incarnation of God (Genesis 17:1-7; Mark 8:31-38)
- March 7 Acknowledging Our Mortality (1 Corinthians 1:18-25; John 2:13-22)
- March 14 Finding God in Desolation (Numbers 21:4-9; John 3:14-21)
- March 21 Affirming Biblical Values (Jeremiah 31:31-34; John 12:20-33)
Post Sermon Discussions
Pastor Johnson invites you to join post-sermon discussions on ZOOM over these 5 weeks. To determine a preferred meeting day & time, please complete the following on: survey
Sunday February 7: First Sunday with Holy Communion
Sunday February 14: Youth Sunday
A Valentine for All of Us
Wednesday February 17: Ash Wednesday
Special Parking Lot Service at 5:30 pm
Sunday February 21: Lenten Sermon Series begins
All Services Live Streamed on Facebook
Join Pastor Joe & Joel Toledo at 9:15 am on Sunday, March 22
to make, bake, and eat pretzels.